Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Monday night I got the nose skin drilled on the wing. I also finished the pilot holes from the nose skin into the top part of the spar.

The kit that Zenith provides has the front edge of the top skin predrilled, but not the nose skin. This is a problem since the nose skin overlaps on top of the top skin. The get around this before placing the nose skin, the top skin had several holes drilled into it into the spar which were marked with a sharpie on the skin.

When the nose skin was ratcheted on, I slipped it underneath the top skin and drilled those few holes using the lowest speed of my drill so I could find the matching spar hole beneath it.

Once those holes were clecoed, I then drilled lightly through the skin, trying not to enter the spar.

Once all the holes were matched, I slipped the nose skin over top the top skin, clecoed through the skin into the few holes that were in the spar, and then drilled through the remaining matched holes into the spar.

To help move the nose ribs into place, I made a hook out of some PVC that was laying around.

A few days ago I ordered my fuselage kit along with the bubble door option. I also ordered Jon "Crash" Croke's fuselage construction DVDs. I'll have a review up in the next week or so.

Also on it way are inspection plates and my lighting system. I decided on going with a ready solution since I would still have to match a driver unit and get the lenses.

Here is the Wick's page on the GS LED unit I will use: http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_cat.php/subid=7000/index.html

Project Status:
Wings: ~111h ( 1h, 1h, 0.5h, 2.5h, 4h, 1h, 1.5h, 1h, 1.5, 4.5, 1h, 1h, 2h, 4h, 1h, 3h, 1h, 2h, .5h, 1.5h, 2h, 2h, 2h, .5h, 1h, .5h, .5h, 2h,3h, 1h, 3h, 3h, 4h, 2h, 3h, 7h, 3h, 1h, 4h, 1h, 1h, 1h, 4h, 2h, 2h, 2h, 2h, 1h, 2h, 3h, 2h, 1h, 3h, 2h, 2h )
Flaperons: ( DONE! ) 23.5 hours spent ( 3h, 1h, 1h, 1h, 1.5h, 3h, 6h, 3h, 4h, 1h )
Paint Design: 2 hours spent ( 1h, 1h )
Elevator DONE!: ~31.5 hours spent ( 3h, 1.5h, 3h, .5h, 3.5h, 2h, 4h, 1.5h, 2h, 4.5h, 1h, 6h )
Horizontal Stabilizer DONE!: ~28 hours spent, 3 pieces replaced ( 3h, 2h, 2h, 2h, .5h, 1.5h, 3.5h, 1.5h, 5, 4.5, 2h, .5h )
Rudder DONE!, minus horn : ~16 hours spent, ( ~8h, ~8h )
Total Done: ~212.5

No comments: