Monday, September 04, 2006

We spent about 6 hours today on the flaperons..

One major build tip for these is when riveting the skeleton, rivet the hinge extrusions last so you have some extra play to sneek the rivet gun to the hole.

Another major tip is to wait to drill and place the splice rib and associated angle. We placed and drilled the angle first and then got major "beer canning" when ratcheting over the top of the skin.

The fiberglass tips fit somewhat poorly. You can even see this is the builder's manual. I played with them for a while and did my best. There is a little gap between the bend in the skin, but it shouldn't matter.

The compressor decided to die today while we were making major progress. At first it wouldn't stop the compressor when it reached 150 psi. Then it wouldn't compress past 120 psi, then 100 psi. Finally we heard a very loud "pop"/"bang" like a firecracker from the compressor followed by a doubling of it's pitch. I shut it off, unplugged it and then drained it's air pressure by using it. I got about half of the bottom of the left outboard flaperon riveted. Luckily we have the hand riveter, but no electric drill.

Project Status:
Flaperons: ( right outboard DONE! ) 10.5 hours spent ( 1.5h, 3h, 6h )
Paint Design: 2 hours spent ( 1h, 1h )
Elevator DONE!: ~31.5 hours spent ( 3h, 1.5h, 3h, .5h, 3.5h, 2h, 4h, 1.5h, 2h, 4.5h, 1h, 6h )
Horizontal Stabilizer DONE!: ~28 hours spent, 3 pieces replaced ( 3h, 2h, 2h, 2h, .5h, 1.5h, 3.5h, 1.5h, 5, 4.5, 2h, .5h )
Rudder DONE!, minus horn : ~16 hours spent, ( ~8h, ~8h )
Total Done: ~89 hours

No comments: