Friday, April 06, 2007

Wednesday night we spent about half an hour securing the spar and ribs to the table.

We ended up having to remove several of the small shims securing the ribs since they interfered with moving the skeleton to match the pre-drilled holes on the skin. Using several rafter squares clamped to the rib and spar worked wonderfully.

Thursday saw a good two hours of drilling the top, rear starboard wing skin into it's respective skeleton. This would not have been possible without the generous lending of clecos to me.

The electric drill did a much better job of drilling into the spar, while the air drill was faster drilling into the ribs.

Hopefully I can get up to Wicks on Saturday and buy another two hundred clecos or so. I'm also low on zinc chromate.

I also got to see one of the many RV-7 projects our chapter has. Van's is really onto something with matched-pair drilling. If the RV-12 kit has the same amount of pre-drilling on the skins AND the ribs, then the 601 will have some real competition in the LSA area.

Project Status:
Wings: 49h ( 1h, 1h, 0.5h, 2.5h, 4h, 1h, 1.5h, 1h, 1.5, 4.5, 1h, 1h, 2h, 4h, 1h, 3h, 1h, 2h, .5h, 1.5h, 2h, 2h, 2h, .5h, 1h, .5h, .5h, 2h )
Flaperons: ( DONE! ) 23.5 hours spent ( 3h, 1h, 1h, 1h, 1.5h, 3h, 6h, 3h, 4h, 1h )
Paint Design: 2 hours spent ( 1h, 1h )
Elevator DONE!: ~31.5 hours spent ( 3h, 1.5h, 3h, .5h, 3.5h, 2h, 4h, 1.5h, 2h, 4.5h, 1h, 6h )
Horizontal Stabilizer DONE!: ~28 hours spent, 3 pieces replaced ( 3h, 2h, 2h, 2h, .5h, 1.5h, 3.5h, 1.5h, 5, 4.5, 2h, .5h )
Rudder DONE!, minus horn : ~16 hours spent, ( ~8h, ~8h )
Total Done: ~149.5 hours

No comments: