Sunday, August 09, 2009
Most of the wiring harness is complete. Lights, radio and utilities are done. The transponder, Dynon and alternator wiring remain.
To help reduce the clutter on the kitchen and workbench tables I started cutting the panel and installing parts.
Many months ago I mocked up my panel using lifesized print outs. This worked well, but many details were simply left out. Some of the parts of changed, and a few unexpected things have been added. There are more switches and breakers than I had planned for.
One challenge has been trying to plan around the throttle handle. The exact position of the throttle can not be determined with out the throttle bellcrank installed. Based on the expected position from other builders I have moved the Dynon more towards the centerline. I would prefer that the Dynon be centered with the pilot's seat, but that may be impossible.
When laying out there were a few factors I kept in mind.
1) Anything flight and emergency critical should be close to aircraft center. This is to allow the passenger access to the starter, ELT, ect.
2) Try to logically group switches by function
3) Keep power away from the primer.
4) Do not stack any switch above or below another.
I have also received my grips. The final choice was for FlightGrips ( no website ). These are a solid grip that bolt onto the Y stick.
Internally the switch poles are easy to access as the stick splits apart and the top cap is removable. You do need to be careful with how much heat shrink is used as to keep the wire flexible enough to route around the grip.
On the pilot's side there is a elevator trim up/down, PTT, Radio Flip/Flop, Radio Mem Set and intercom isolation.
On the passenger's side there is PTT and Radio flip/flop.