Tuesday, September 08, 2009
Some major steps have been taking with the wiring, with a bunch of "lessons learned".
The approach I took was what seemed logical to my programmer mind. I took a look at each device, the inputs and the outputs and made a series of sub harnesses. Connectors ( D-Sub 9 ) are used where two harnesses would need to join together.
Rough distances were measured with approximate routing.
Each sub harness was made in relative isolation.
This worked fairly well. Some of the earlier harnesses are a little untidy. None of them match in size.
As I went to install the harnesses this weekend I realized that I needed more of an "integrative" approach to the wiring problem. Lots of single wires got tangled up with each other. Wires drooped all over. The whole thing was a rat's nest mess.
I took everything back apart. Slowly I added one sub-harness back in at a time. With each new addition I attempted to clean up the harness and wrapped the wires into more logical bundles.
As the harness was put in, those bundles were bundled with the other bundles. The ground terminals were grouped together and bundled. The power terminals for the two buses got a similar treatment.
While doing this the remaining amounts of wire were looped and tied off to further promote a clean installation.
I have a LED strobe with controller. The directions suggest placing the controller in the wingtip - but there is a problem. The controller has a built in fuse holder. To comply with FARs all fuses need to be replaceable easily, preferably in flight. So a bracket and mounting plate were made and installed on the passenger side. This plate extends from the bottom of the instrument panel to the "L" angle that runs along the passenger side to the firewall.
The strobe controller and buses were mounted to this.
A partial power up test was performed. The radio and lights were all working. The split bus was isolating and the terminal ground was fine. The trim indicator was working great and the trim rocker and joystick controls were all functional.